Idea: Assange Quiz

Since the media’s focus is usually to give the answers, I thought it would be interesting to turn the approach around and give questions and make a quiz. I already posted the first one on Twitter. 1st, in order that people can guess if they know the correct answers and 2nd, to make them curious about Julian’s case, getting aware of what is at stake for all of us. The more people are aware and educated about this important case, the more support Julian can get. (Independently if they would join this DAO or somewhere else.)

• What questions come into your mind, when you think about Julian’s case?

#AssangeQuiz:

1. How long is it legally permitted to keep a non-convicted foreign publisher on remand for a different foreign country, without even the ability to bail in a high security prison?

@Rick_Velvet, do you know the correct answer? I’m no lawyer and, unlike at least one other non-lawyer who posts on these threads, don’t pretend to be. But I believe that when you ask about something being “legally permitted,” the correct answer must be properly founded in applicable law—in this case, UK statutory law. These historical facts, readily understandable even to a layman, pertain:

• in April 2019, Julian Assange was found guilty of breaching the Bail Act;
  • in May 2019, he was sentenced to 50 weeks imprisonment for said offense.

Presumably his conviction is dispositive of any subsequent request for bail within UK courts, it having been thus established that he is a flight risk and suitable for confinement in a high security prison. If you are offering your quiz primarily for trivial entertainment, facts don’t matter, and posing the question in a misleading manner is all in good fun. But you also allude to an educational purpose, and to that end your approach does not well serve Mr. Assange.

No, I don’t know how long it is allowed to lock away a foreign unconvicted person in a high security prison “on remand” for a foreign country and no, I don’t think such questions are trivial entertainment. I also don’t think that psychological torture or spying on Julian’s lawyers and doctors is legally permitted, even though it happened. Thich is as incomprehensible for laymen as for professionals.

1 Like

I think he could be held like that forever. I think that every 6 months or so - bail option can be revisited - but in short - the US consider him a flight risk, they believe he has the capacity to abscond, they cited the Mexican’s offer of asylum as a reason that they couldn’t let him go.

But here goes to answer this question - " The Ministry of Justice last month temporarily extended the custody time limit for those in prison waiting for crown court trials from 182 to 238 days in an effort to get a grip on the backlogs."

So normally it is 182 days. BUT Assange’s trial is a lengthy one - so…until he is on a plane to the US or until the case is won in the UK.Extending custody time limit will hit BAME people hardest, MoJ told | Law | The Guardian

EDIT Scratch that as Tom has pointed out this doesn’t apply to Assange as he is not involved in a UK Trial. So after searching more - all I can find is that he might be credited the time spent by the USA if he was extradited. But that would be minus the domestic time spent re the 50 weeks for the UK bail misdemeanor, presumably.

So no time limit on remand. He’s just stuck there without bail.

1. Why has Julian been the only person charged when The Guardian for instance may have harmed US countermeasures for IED usage in Afghanistan? per example - Wikileaks Afghanistan files: every IED attack, with co-ordinates | Afghanistan: the war logs | The Guardian
    This is one of the arguments mentioned in Assange’s indictment - allegedly knowing to abet the enemy etc Well any detailed reporting on conflict could do so?

@rave I don’t understand what the passage you quoted has to do with Assange. He is not in prison waiting for a crown court trial. You say “Assange’s trial is a lengthy one” but he will not be tried in UK. He’s appealing to the High Court. Appeal ≠ trial.

1 Like

Extradition hearing.

Fixed - you’re correct Tom and Ive added an edit at the bottom. Let me know if you feel I should delete the first response. But one way to derail someone else’s idea, noted.

I think this is a cool idea to get people thinking and talking. For a layman like me, the question and vocab are rather technical; but if your intended audience is people with a human rights background, then that’s awesome.

1 Like