BRAINSTORMING: Prevention of the Extradition Approval by Prity Patel

SUMMARY:
Priti Patel can decide about Julian’s extradition at any day. Will she certify and sign the extradition order, or not? What could supporters \ human right organisations etc. do, in order to prevent this horrible approval? Write your ideas and I will add them to the list.

BRAINSTORMING

1. Sending the brainstorming to human rights organizations & campaigns, to give them inspiration for future actions and also increase the chance that somebody could put it into reality. May? World Press Freedom Day? (Rick)

2. Sending a a copy of the book: Nilz Melzer - Trial of Assange, including a letter with: In order to understand the whole case, please read and be on the right side in human history. On the side of truth, without corruption and war-crimes… Free Assange. (Rick)

3. Hundreds of black or yellow lilies (most popular flower on funerals). The day they arrive having someone there to photo document so we can flood social media (DAO members can donate for it, we don’t need that much) (P.MA)

4. A Wikileaks pencil with a letter: Dear Pretty Patel, write history and sign the freedom of Julian Assange. Real democracy needs honesty and a free press. (Rick)

5. A Wikileaks cup with a letter: Dear Priti Patel, I suggest cup of truth. Just tastes the best. Free Assange and show the world that the UK appreciates Pressfreedom and America’s first Amendment.
    (Rick)

6. Getting xxxx postcards (in envelopes) with the highlights of London (incl. belmarsh prison), these postcards are already adressed to the office and some volunteers of the local grassroot groups spread them to tourists. These tourists write their message on it and just submit it at a post box. BONUS: Combining it with number 9.
    Willkommen in London Julian Assange Postkarten + Umschläge (7 Stück) – WikiLeaks Shop EU
    (Rick)

7. Weekly \ daily protests at the office. But people don’t say anything and have just a UK \ US Sticker on the mouth, with julian shirts, watching the office like psychos. No talking. Just the action. ^^ (Rick)

8. Having a marching band playing the funeral march everyday in the last 5 days before March 18th in front of Home Secretary Office (probably need to be hired but we can ask members to contribute?
    (P.MA)

9. Having a protest march with anonymous masks and they all carry a banner with: Exposing war crimes is not a crime. War crimes are a crime. Free Assange (Rick)

10. Asking the embassy cat (Artist: Ans) for making a small cartoon book \ postcards. On the last page the cat asks Preti Pratel why they want to send Julian to somebody that wanted to kidnapp and kill him… “Plz free my human…” - embassy cat BONUS: Combining it with the tourists idea Number 05
    https://twitter.com/EmbassyCatComic/status/1512498233498558467?t=tb2_oSGKh2-L9KXvY1s6dg&s=19
    (Rick)

11. Organizing a celeb, playing a small live performance in front of the office. (Ratm? Lady gaga?..) (Rick)

12. Asking Daniel Craig to stand in front of the office with a banner: just because I was at the secret service, doesn’t mean that I’m okay with war-crimes! Free Assange. (more of a joke… ^^) (Rick)

13. Putting at night beamers again on the streets of london… One aims to the office with Assange’s head. Written: your fate is in your hands… (Or something like that. U get the idea) (Rick)

14. Playing specific tracks (e.g. Schindler’s list theme, classical music etc.) and combine them with speeches regarding Julian… We can put these on important places in London and refer to the home-secretary s office that they can end this nightmare at any time. (Rick)

15. Having some people dressed as judges, holding a banner: We ignored Evidence. We don’t like Press Freedom. We have good friends that want Julian 175 years in prison. We don’t care… and: We love our immunity! (Rick)

16. Mobile billboards, where the trucks drive around the city and \ or park outside Priti’s office, if possible. https://www.mobile-billboards.co.uk/
    (Grace)

17. Making a car protest. Supporters put a banner or so on the car and stream an arranged audio file, honking at the same time. At the end of the tour, they stop briefly at the office and honk. Megaphone people support that concert. (Rick)

18. Aerial advertising- plane banner. https://www.airads.co.uk/ (Grace)

19. Tik Tok video calls to action - to reach younger audiences. Ex: call write Priti…short rundown of Assange plight. (Grace)

20. Let’s make a campaign and enlist not just journalisric organizations, but companies & cooperations that support free speech and Assange. Maybe an additional reward \ sticker \ certificate? (Grace - idea, Rick - reward)

21. Laying out flyers at universities, public places and giving people black and white flyers in the streets about what is happening to Julian, why, the big context such as the threat to press freedom. Add a QR code to current petitions and Nils Melzers Book for more information as well. Scanning a QR code is low effort for those you want to reach. Plus, adding freedom of press makes it a personal issue even if you don’t know anything about Julian. I can do a flyer design within 24 - 48 hours, that’s no problem. We’d just need people from different countries to translate it into their mother-tongue. If a flyer is black and white it doesn’t cost much and could even be printed at home, even if the quality of the paper is poor. (Rogue)

22. If someone goes to a university/college/high school/knows people there: Ask to hold a presentation or to invite people there. That way a lot of people can be reached in a short amount of time. (Rogue)

23. Ask local Amnesty International Groups to talk about Julian Assange and suggest one of the suggested actions on this page. They already have a structure to mobilize more people. (Rogue)

24. Share art, cut videos of events, summarize his story how he has been tortured in videos. People tend to remember videos more than spoken words I think. That’s why collateral murder went viral. It’s easy to understand. Have a team with you to record stuff. Use that content for Instagram stories and feed posts. Try to use popular hashtags. (Rogue)

25. For interactive stuff you can do anything. Sth that, imo is quite impressive, are beamer screenings on walls. If you want to do anything interactive where people can actually change what is seen on screen (e.g opening prison bars when they scream louder, stand on sth etc) you can user your laptops mic as an input or connect an arduino with a laptop. For running the visuals a live server can be used. Code for such stuff could be shared on git so you don’t even have to be a programmer to use it. You’d only have to install a live server and download the git project which can be done with help from youtube tutorials. (Rogue)

26. Ask people to send videos that finnish a sentence you posted online. E.g ask them to finnish the sentence “Julian needs to be freed because…” and cut the scenes together to one video or post them every view hours or at least daily to feed the algorithm. A free but powerfull software to cut videos is Davinci Resolve. (Rogue)

27. Art Contest. Let people apply with a design and do a public vote. Community engagement is important. The favourite design could be printed on a T-Shirt. (Rogue)

28. It might be worth looking at the type of campaigns that AVAAZ.org does and start one. Also, if funding is available Looking at lobbyists who can help put pressure on the government also could be a try. There’s also media support organisations that have shown sympathy towards JA - such as https://cpj.org) - and again, funding them to run a more substantial campaign could have positive impacts. (Sam)

29. If AssangeDao has the funds, an allocation can be made to Amnesty to run a campaign. They’d be able to generate the media and attention required, if they are properly resourced with funds. (Sam)

30. Create a chain of people where everyone is wearing a prisoner outfit (orange jumpsuit or black/white striped outfit) and hold up signs that he has been locked up for exposing crimes. Passers-by are welcome to join the chain making it bigger and biiger. (Rogue)

31. Get a huge sailcloth/canvas, write freedom of press in the middle and let people write on it why we need to save Julian. Hang it up somewhere. (Rogue)

32. Get some removal crates, paint them black or brown and write. “Assanges extradition == Death of press freedom” on them and carry them through town. Wear black clothes if possible. Make it look like a funeral for press freedom. (Rogue)

33. Do a “sit in” in front of government buildings near you. Read out chapters from Nils Melzers Book with a megaphone or hold speeches about what has been done to him. Hand out flowers with a little card on them that says: Don’t let press freedom die, don’t extradate Assange, let journalism blossom.
    Bonus points if you have some copies of Nils Melzers book with you to give to people and, ideally, representatives. Send the books to them if they don’t react to your sit in. (Rogue)

34. Many towns have public bookcases. Put Nils Melzers Book in there. Ask libraries and book stores if they have Nils Melzers book. If they don’t talk to them why it is important to have it visibly in store for everyone to see. (Rogue)

35. Use the formal methods - all encapsulated here - Don’t Extradite Assange - Take Action (Rave)

6 Likes

Oh. I interpreted that information from Amnesty UK wrong apparantly: UK: Home Secretary agreeing to Assange extradition would threaten media freedom | Amnesty International UK

Quote: "The case will now be sent to the Home Secretary, Priti Patel, who will decide whether to certify the US request by 18 May. "

So it’s more about the certification of the order at this stage, but not about the decision. I see. Thx. Corrected.

2 Likes

Than Stella’s words were misleading?

Stella: “Boris J. & Priti Patel can stop this at any time. They can stop this today.”

Apart of that. In the correction is not a date mentioned, so stop nagging and come up with constructive ideas plz.

1 Like

It’s a brainstorming. If you don’t like an idea, than it’s your opinion. We brought 14 ideas and some of them are awesome. You brought nothing here, instead of nagging around. If you have no idea, think. If you’re not keen to come up with ideas, than do something more productive, than taking my time with your negative mind.

3 Likes

(Google Translate)

Thank you for your work, it’s great to see that there are people in the community trying to save Assange, which I think is the most valuable part of the community.

I don’t know much about the western social environment and operation mechanism, so I can’t give specific advice. However, I strongly suggest that you lead the formation of a “Rescue Assange Working Group”, which can have stronger execution, and most silent people in the Chinese community will be very willing to vote for any of your actions.

感谢你的工作,非常开心能看到社区里一直有人在为拯救阿桑奇做出尝试,我认为这是社区最有价值的一部分。

我不是很了解西方社会环境和运作机制,没有办法给到具体的建议。不过我强烈建议,由你牵头组建一个“拯救阿桑奇工作小组”,这样可以拥有更强的执行力,中国社区里的大多数沉默者会很愿意用选票支持你们的任何行动。

4 Likes

A big shout out to Grace for her ideas! Thank you! :heart:

2 Likes

I thought about some actions and I think, first and foremost, we need to make the general public aware of what is happening to Julian. Everyone should be able to take part so it’d be easier if it was cheap to join. Here are some of my ideas:

• Laying out flyers at universities, public places and giving people black and white flyers in the streets about what is happening to Julian, why, the big context such as the threat to press freedom. Add a QR code to current petitions and Nils Melzers Book for more information as well. Scanning a QR code is low effort for those you want to reach. Plus, adding freedom of press makes it a personal issue even if you don’t know anything about Julian.
    I can do a flyer design within 24 - 48 hours, that’s no problem. We’d just need people from different countries to translate it into their mother-tongue. If a flyer is black and white it doesn’t cost much and could even be printed at home, even if the quality of the paper is poor.

• If someone goes to a university/college/high school/knows people there: Ask to hold a presentation or to invite people there. That way a lot of people can be reached in a short amount of time.

• Ask local Amnesty International Groups to talk about Julian Assange and suggest one of the suggested actions on this page. They already have a structure to mobilize more people.

• Share art, cut videos of events, summarize his story how he has been tortured in videos. People tend to remember videos more than spoken words I think. That’s why collateral murder went viral. It’s easy to understand. Have a team with you to record stuff. Use that content for Instagram stories and feed posts. Try to use popular hashtags.

• For interactive stuff you can do anything. Sth that, imo is quite impressive, are beamer screenings on walls. If you want to do anything interactive where people can actually change what is seen on screen (e.g opening prison bars when they scream louder, stand on sth etc) you can user your laptops mic as an input or connect an arduino with a laptop. For running the visuals a live server can be used. Code for such stuff could be shared on git so you don’t even have to be a programmer to use it. You’d only have to install a live server and download the git project which can be done with help from youtube tutorials.

• Ask people to send videos that finnish a sentence you posted online. E.g ask them to finnish the sentence “Julian needs to be freed because…” and cut the scenes together to one video or post them every view hours or at least daily to feed the algorithm. A free but powerfull software to cut videos is Davinci Resolve.

• Art Contest. Let people apply with a design and do a public vote. Community engagement is important. The favourite design could be printed on a T-Shirt.

2 Likes

Thx for your contribution Rogue. Your ideas are noted. :star2:

1 Like

@Rick_Velvet is it your intention to formally associate each of these actions with AssangeDAO or rather to have members perform them as individuals without official DAO branding?

My intention is to collect ideas. Everything that benefits the freedom of Julian, is welcome… No matter if associated to AssangeDAO or individual supporters. We have the same goal and the sooner we accomplish the mission, the better. Some ideas can be combined and assoiciated with us too in my opinion. This is not my decision though and will be discussed after the brainstorming stage is finished.

Thanks for your reply. Just so I understand, are individual members free to publicly associate these ideas with AssangeDAO without formal organizational approval? I’m trying to understand the process by which AssangeDAO presents its public face.

2 Likes

How did you come up with that question or what is your concern? I need more details in order to understand your question fully.

I personally think it’s impossible to prevent people from expressing their thoughts or associations. This brainstorming-thread for example, could be an inspiration for people outside of the DAO. I don’t know how it should be formally prevented what people say or do outside of the DAO. I can’t speak for the DAO and its decisions. I just can express you my opinion, as a supporter, independently of the DAO. I also have no clue if any of these ideas will become reality. If this didn’t answer your question, than I have not the information that you’re looking for.

1 Like

I came up with my question after seeing your posts today at AssangeDAO Discord, in which you criticized a Zoom meeting about cooperation between AssangeDAO and the LATOKEN digital asset exchange. “I don’t know who represents the voice of our dao there,” you wrote, “but i would prefer that everybody of us knows what’s going on and not a group of people that organized the meeting.” Apparently someone sought to publicly represent AssangeDAO without official approval. Surely deploying mobile billboards around London or conducting aerial advertising, either or both of which convey the AssangeDAO imprimatur, would likewise be better if everybody knows what’s going on in advance and not just a subgroup that organized the action.

1 Like

I see. The reason I complained about it, was that the person, who organized it, informed all of us just a few hours beforehand. That means that probably a hand full of people would attend the meeting and I personally don’t think that a few people should make unknown decisions or promises without making the rest of the people know about it. That’s not a fair represantation of the DAO. The more people are involved or at least know what’s going on, the better. Regarding these ideas of the brainstorming. They are visible to all members. Everybody can read here and express their ideas, whereas the meeting would have been invisible for most… I was against that.

We are all at the beginning, still figuring out how to improve communication. Especially when we consider different time zones \ cultures \ approaches \ opinions. We learn, grow and adapt… Hopefully the gouvernance etc. will soon be finished. We’ll see how we will continue.

2 Likes

Thanks for your patience in explaining this to me. Personally, I’d like to see AssangeDAO get a lot more notice. My AssangeDAO entry at Wikipedia is teetering on extinction because there’s been no MSM coverage of the DAO beyond its initial spectacular fundraising success nearly three months ago. Yet it’s simply not true that all publicity is good publicity. An ungoverned media blitz risks painting the DAO as frivolous mischief-makers, not serious militants. That won’t put AssangeDAO on the map as a force to be reckoned with at this crucial juncture.

So why not change the approach? Instead of lurching from one preordained lost cause to the next—such as pretending protests can dissuade Patel from approving the extradition order—redirect this energy into building an organization where DAO does not stand for Disorganized Aimless Outfit.

1 Like

It might be worth looking at the type of campaigns that AVAAZ (www.avaaz.org) does. It might be worth while working with Avaaz on a campaign around preventing the extradition.

Also, if funding is available - it might be interesting looking at lobbyists who can help put pressure on the government. Unfortunately, in the era or the Ukraine conflict - not much else is going to be newsworthy or influential - unless of course, Wikileaks is seen as a ‘ally’ of Ukraine - thus justifying Assange’s work on setting it up in the first place.

If AssangeDao has the funds, an allocation can be made to Amnesty to run a campaign. They’d be able to generate the media and attention required, if they are properly resourced with funds.

There’s also media support organisations that have shown sympathy towards JA - such as https://cpj.org - and again, funding them to run a more substantial campaign could have positive impacts.

1 Like

Create a chain of people where everyone is wearing a prisoner outfit (orange jumpsuit or black/white striped outfit) and hold up signs that he has been locked up for exposing crimes. Passers-by are welcome to join the chain.

Get a huge sailcloth/canvas, write freedom of press in the middle and let people write on it why we need to save Julian. Hang it up somewhere

Get some removal crates, paint them black or brown and write
“Assanges extradition == Death of press freedom” on them and carry them through town.
Wear black clothes if possible. Make it look like a funeral for press freedom.

Do a “sit in” in front of government buildings near you. Read out chapters from Nils Melzers Book with a megaphone or hold speeches about what has been done to him.
Hand out flowers with a little card on them that says: Don’t let press freedom die, don’t extradate Assange, let journalism blossom.
Bonus points if you have some copies of Nils Melzers book with you to give to people and, ideally, representatives.
Send the books to them if they don’t react to your sit in.

Many towns have public bookcases. Put Nils Melzers Book in there.

Ask libraries and book stores if they have Nils Melzers book. If they don’t talk to them why it is important to have it visibly in store for everyone to see.

I mean it might make a lovely public performance and some catharsis, but the UK is not going to violate its international extradition treaties, because a few histrionics decide to hold a public performance.

We can at least try to make the general public aware of what is going on. Even if there is just 1% chance of waking some people up and gaining their attention to sign petitions and write articles about what is done to Julian in newspapers.
Even if it doesn’t change the outcome, we can say we tried everything in our power to change it.

2 Likes

I was just waiting for your negative mindset. :relaxed:

Public attention attracts public attention. Public attention raises the interest for the case and the pressure on politicians (etc.) to DO something. Doing nothing, leads to nothing. Don’t discourage people from being creative and taking action plz. If you have an idea, post it and if not, do somehthing more productive.